Saturday, September 25, 2010

A short post

This will be pretty short.  I have been trying sooo hard to get itunes downloaded so that I can download a video of Rachel and Keith onto my iphone which has a lot of space but I just can´t seem to get it to work....so fustrating.  So, just want to check in.  we are experiencing the edges of  tormento Matthew , just a lot of hard rain and some winds, but nothing too worrisome.  This cyber cafe still has power and a signal so that says a lot.  We worked all morning in a driving rain with a great bunch of muchachos plus one muchacha wielding machetes like pros to clear a space for our school garden  It was sort of crazy working like that in the rain ( I could not even lift a shovel full of lodo ( their great word for mud) so I mostly stood around feeling like a third wheel.  When I get to my site, I am going to hire local kids to dig my garden and I am not going to do it in a driving rain.  I think the campesinos ( farmers) around here probably thought we had lost our minds.  They would not do what we did - they would wait for it to stop !!! But, we are in training and my compadres felt compelled to power thru - so we did.  I would have waited for tomorrow....but, I only had one vote.  And they are all under 25.  I had some great fish for lunch and the best pico de gallo you would ever hope for.  My host Senora is a very good cook...and very very amable ( nice).  I learned that 3-4 of her sons  fought with the Sandinista muchachos in the war to depose Somoza.  They have some very moving stories to tell.  Lovin´ that part, for sure.  Better go, lights are flickering........ Love to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment