Wednesday, September 8, 2010

From my training town

Hello for my second post.  Still getting used to this keyboard and the whole idea a sitting in a ¨cyber¨Nica for internet cafe, sweating actual buckets with a chicken sitting right outside my door.  Actually, yesterday, I chased a chicken out of the kitchen in my host family´s home.  I am staying in what appears to be the nicest casita in our pueblo of Guisquiliapa, a barrio of  Jinotepe.  The Sr. and Senor are 70 and 75 and appear to own a whole lot of land in the area.   They have two sons who are medicos doctors, two who are lawyers, a couple who have science educations and a couple teachers.  It appears most people in this little barrio are not employed at all or who work at very menial jobs in the nearby towns.  We are about 45 minutes from Managua, the capital.  We have a lot of fruit trees in our yard and the Senora gets fresh fruit each morning for me and some vegetables throughout the day.  There are chickens and ducks all over the yard and last night we had an egg for dinner ( along with some fine gallo pinto) and she told me it was from that day.  Very fresh but all I could think about was salmonella - that was the news when I left the states.  I have not had any news for a week and I think  I miss that as much as any other tangible ( other than you guys, of course)  We have Spanish class each day, 4 hours in the moring and three in the afternnon.  Thursday night we get started with our community action by having a meeting with the young people in the community to brainstorm about what they would like to do as a  project with us for the next three months.  Actually, I don´t think any of them will want to do anything with me but my companeros are all in their early 20s and will get lots of response, me thinks.  

4 comments:

  1. It was so exciting to get your post!!!!!! How exciting your life has become. I am sure you cannot say you are bored. I am worried about you having enough to read, let me know if it is a problem. Boulder has a huge, 7,000 acre fire, in Fourmile Canyon. That is the big news here. I can hardly wait to hear more about your experiences. I want a check in my house to shoo out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pat! So great to read your posts. I hope you get a chance to write each day. I tried to write a comment the other day and could not post it - I don't think I know how to do that. I hope you are doing well and also hope that you had more than just 1 egg for dinner. Stay safe, and if anything gets weird, get the hell out of Dodge!!

    Love,
    Y

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pat, Me again. I really like your picture. You look great in the pic. So how was the "huevo?" My former law partner's daughter is fairly fluent in Spanish, so I'm asking her to help me communicate w/you in Spanish. That way, I'll learn the language too. I'm glad you're happy there. You are my adventure, Pat. Please stay safe. If the most dangerous activity is chasing chickens, I can live w/that.

    Hasta luego!
    Y

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pat! This is great fun reading yours posts, and picturing you in Nicaragua chasing chickens. Enjoy all those fresh fruits and veggies. Have you had any of the local beverages Pinol or Chicha? re: news, hmmmm..., well, ok, Penn State won their first game against Youngstown. That's about it! Que le vaya bien, mi amiga! Elena

    ReplyDelete