Saturday, November 11, 2023

More random photos.

The mural is finished.  What a beautiful legacy to leave at the Peace Corps Mexico office in Queretaro. The gal on the far left, Elinor, drew it, the one on the far right, Jordan, organized it and both did a huge portion of the actual painting.  Several others contributed their efforts and all of us cheered them on.
A despidido picnic.
The same depidido picnic, just earlier..a really great group of young people. Queretaro has done well in the neighborhood park department...lots of them.
A despidido lunch with some good women.  The gal to my right is Jordan who reminds me soooo much of Nicole and she was the chief organizer of the mural.  The gal next to her is the artist.
These are called leles, indigenous women made them for their children and now they are sold to tourists.  I got these for my granddaughters but shipping is soooo expensive from here to the US, I've decided to just take them with me when I go for Katy's wedding next June.....unless I get an earlier opportunity.
These are Catrinas.  They are a caricature of the Spanish elite ladies dressed up for the Dios de Muertos.  They have become iconic and there's a parade of Catrinas during the week before the actual dia.  Posada was the original cartoonist in the 1800s who first drew and published the cartoon. I bought them but too expensive to ship them.

The young folks had a prom at the end of pre service training and gave out lots of awards. ...."Most likely to......."   etc.    Lindsay and Grace gave me this one. It says, " Most likely to make us smile."   I loved it. 



 


THis is our cohort, about 38 volunteer trainees and their counterparts from the communities, assembled the day before swearing in for a last minute workshop.  I'm in the far right back
Some strange metal sculptures I happened to spy as I was walking thru the neighborhood.  Ya just never know.  See next photo.
This appears to be a "swiss chalet" built on three residential lots on one of the neighborhood streets.  I did n't want to get too close to take a picture....just seemed wrong.  But it was just so out of character with the block.....I guess there is no "style" zoning.  The cafe curtains combined with bars on the windows seemed a little strange, too.
This is hard to see because of the gray car, but the fellow on the bike has a huge assortment of brooms and mops etc in a container in front of him over the front tire.  He rides thru the neighborhoods selling which actually is a huge service as most or many people have to use public buses and its hard to carry mops and brooms on those buses.
These are the cats at the PC office, mom and her 4 kits.  The whitish one is beautiful...white body with gray ears and tail and light blue eyes, the others are two black and one orange tiger.  I feed them on the weekends and someone in the office feeds them during the week, hopefully.  They are still pretty wild but we're hoping to somehow catch them, get them all vaccinated, and maybe all sterilized if the kits are old enough.  Looking for homes for the kits.  PC says they'll keep the mom, and hopefully feed her.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment