Sunday, February 28, 2016

This is my bed and these are the two family dogs who occasionally jump up there.  One day, they got territorial and a huge fight broke out right on my bed...but there was no blood shed and my computer was not knocked off, which was my big concern.

We have this little band coming together and that little instrument is played by one of the Ecuadoran staff, Gio, he is very good  Sounds a lot like a ukelele but it has like 8 double sets of strings.  I'll get the name of it.  Sara Anne is holding it.  She is an accomplished singer and plays lots of instruments...she is a trainee, not staff.  That is another Sara in the background.

We had a pot luck last week.  I took deviled eggs and of course they were a hit.  These are some of our lovely ladies.  I'm hoping Katy will join me at our mid service meeting sometime next Spring....she is about their age.

another shot at the potluck...some really nice folks.  The gal on the right is Christin, she is in charge of the TEFL program...an American living in Ecuador.

A minor church in Quito...there are so many and they are so huge. 

lots of street shops and lots of herbs sold on the street...herbal medicine is huge here

I took this to show that the signs are primaily in Spanish but underneath in smaller letters are English and Kitchua...that language that is spoken here that is a mix between Spanish and some of the indigenous tribal languages.  I found out that Ayayay is Kitchua...you know, what we say when something is real hot, or spicy or bad....



A street in Quito.....I have no idea of where things are downtown yet but this is called the Centro Historico and all the government offices are here and  a lot of the old Spanish influenced building are being restored.

A street where traffic was blocked off, at least for that day.  Some of our group is walking right down the middle.

Another street in which the traffic was NOT blocked off and sadly this is the norm.   Very narrow streets but still two lanes for car and buses.....I don't know how they fit.

This used to be the entrance to a hospital but now a museum is in this location.

Another church or government building.  I hope I figure them all out at some point.

There was some sort of musical performance being prepared to the left of this picture.  There was a big plaza there and a big stage with speakers and some chairs out front.  It was a Friday afternoon.

I think I told you, guacamole is a staple food down here.  Well, guys, strawberries grow year round..fresas.  And they are so so tasty.   This is a bowl of strawberries with a little oatmeal hiding on the bottom.  Yum....
I tried to add this as a video but I can't get it to play.  At least you can see Gio with his instrument.  He is very good and can sing a lot of the traditional songs.  He is trying to teach the rest of the band.  A couple of us have the potential to learn.  A couple of us are good listeners.




One last thing....I found chocolate covered quinoa chunks in the store today.  The manufacturer is here in Quito.   Andean Quinoa Baking Company at www.andeanquinoabakery.com....yum and so so good for me.

Will have two days in class next week and then leaving for three days in Otovalo to visit a current volunteer there, go to his classes with him, see the place, learn a little...who knows.  But, I should have some good pics next Sunday..or soon thereafter.

Love,
me

No comments:

Post a Comment