Sunday, April 24, 2011

Final edition of Semana Santa

I want to give you a report of the final day of this Holy Week.  As expected, Jesus was resurrected today but he did not go straight to heaven, he participated in a procession around town first. ( Shame on me !!)  Anyhow, I was in the park with some kids ready to begin our bottle collection when the procession with Jesus approached ( I will attach some photos) which was not a surprise.  The surprise came when Mary's procession came around the corner and the two processions met and the reuniting of Jesus with his mother took place.  It was amazing and there was a large crowd there to witness it.  There were also men walking in the procession with arms full of these rockets they set off ( which they did at every corner of Jesus's procession ) and then they set off a whole bunch of them when Mary and Jesus met up.  Also, the police had their one vehicle there and they turned on the siren for what seemed like ten minutes.  Then, after an amount of time, both processions, with Mary and Jesus side by side, returned to the church for a mass.

I did not go to the mass as we had a full day of plastic bottle collecting planned and a bunch of kids showed up so that is what I did the rest of the day. 








I forgot one thing, this morning at 4:30 they began setting off the the bomb/rockets I guess to demonstrate their joy that Jesus had been resurrected.  I hope Jesus appreciated them because the new puppy next door and I did not. 

The pictures are a little mixed up but you can tell the bottle collection ones and the procession ones.  The guy in the red shirt and dred locks is Raul and he is sort of the community leader of the kids so I am trying to do everything in conjunction with him, so he can keep it going long after I am gone.  That is one of the requirements of Peace Corps, sustainability.

The smoky picture was taken right after Jesus and Mary met up and all the bombs went off.

The kid in the hammock and the other two are all kids of the ladies who work in our mercado/bus termial.

Thats my final report on Semana Santa.

Love,
Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment