Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A little more info

My daughter asked about my ¨quarters.¨  Here is what I told her....

I have a three burner gas cooktop and a gas tank attached,  a bike ( that needs a lot of tune up work which I´ll get done as soon as I get back, a fan, three tables, a rocker, a plastic chair, a bed frame, a place to hang clothes...and a bunch of pots, pans nad dishes all of which I bought from the previousl vol. for $75.  Doesn´t sound like much, but most new vols. start out with nothing so at least I have a place to cook nad sit.  My bathroom and shower are outside but are in little houses ( its not an outhouse but you have to throw water down it to get it to flush) and the shower is just a pipe that comes out of hte wall...the water is not heated but it comes out of the ground a little warm due, I guess, to all the volcanoes around here and the geothermic heat.

The total square footage is probably about 200 but thats enuf for me.  I had a little trouble sleeping this past week as everyone has chickens and at least one rooster in their yards.  And , of course, the ever present dogs that apparently do not sleep ever !!!!! 

I expect to accumulate more stuff as I need it and am here for a while.  Like, get this, I have wifi access in my hovel.  The folks next door have it so my predecessor shared the expense with them and I said I would do that too.  I don´t have a laptop yet but my daughter and her family plan to come down next April so I have asked her to bring me one.  I am told not to trust the mail delivery system in Nic. ( specifically anything that has to go thru the Leon post office) with anything more than a flat envelope.  I have gotten a couple boxes that came thru the Manaugua correa, but I´m not going to chance it with the Leon folks.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Pat, I love reading your blog posts. I usually read through them several times. It's great that you are so ready to dive into your assignment. Since the schools are closed all of Nov. and Dec., will you spend the time getting to know the locals? and maybe get some help planting that garden? Take care. Love, Ellen

    ReplyDelete