Friday, October 29, 2010

Got my site assignment

For the next two years, starting Dec. 1 ( mas o minus) I will be living in Malpaisillo, Leon, Nicaragua.  Well, what can I say.  Its a city of sorts, 8,000 souls at last count but they have not taken a census in many years.  The entire municipal area has 35,000 souls.  It is surrounded by active, smoking volcanos. ( the word malpais means volcanic rock) It used to be the most fertile soil in the country but it is now ......well, not fertile due to overuse of chemical fertilizers to grow cotton during some very ugly years where the land and people were exploited for the benefit of a few ( you all know who they are ). Now former farmers have mysterious diseases, kidney and cancer are very common.  They grow basic grains, at least  and cattle ranching has begun to take a greater role in the economy.  There are some small women´s artisan cooperatives which might prove very interesting.  The dry season is a month longer than the rainy season and people living there now recall when the rainy season was longer than the dry season.  Does not bode well.   I will be working in three schools and at least one of them has two self contained special ed classes so that will be fun to work with those teachers on strategies.  I don´t know what kind of disabilities I´ll be dealing with but hopefully I´ll know something that will be of help.  They have electricity and water most of the time but there is no sewage system in the city so all waste water is either dumped into the street or into the suelo ( soil) on the property.  There are times of the day that don´t smell so good.  There is a public library and there is a vol. there now who is leaving shortly after I arrive so I´ll be able to pick up on some stuff she started.  She also has written out a lot of stuff that she wishes she had done differently so that will help alot.  Also, I´ll probably get to take over her house.  I have to live with a family for the first 6 weeks but after that I am free to live on my own if I want, and I am pretty sure I will want to do that.  I have met her at a training and she seems like a great person and a person in whose footsteps I will want to follow and in whose kitchen I will enjoy cooking !!!!  Malpaisillo is about 45 minutes from Leon which the city I wanted to be near and there are buses leaving every 30 minutes from 5 am to 5 pm so I was real happy to get this assigmnent. 

New paragraph.....for Ramelle.   One last thing on this post.  I just learned from the Senora ( age 70) with whom I am living that  the first Somoza ( during the 40s I believe) freaking SOLD part of Nicaragua to Costa Rica.  It is the part that is known as Guanacaste and has absolutely beautiful islands off the Pacific coast.   I was watching the travel chanel the other night with my host family ( the have cable) and the Muriociegle Islands ( spelling is wrong)  which were part of the sale are rated as one of the best 5 vacation cites in Central America.  This country has sure been screwed six ways from Sunday, if that is a saying !!!!

Love to all   Off to the land of volcanoes and a long dry season for me !!!!  At least there is a lot of work to do there and I won´t get bored !!!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Pat, I found Malpaisillo on a map, so I "know" where you will be soon. Very close to Momotombo! When I see our little "mountain" here in Spring Mills (Egg Hill) from a distance, I think of Momotombo, as it appears to be cone-shaped from a certain perspective. Anyway, you asked where Ken and I had been in Nicaragua. KEN came I think in 1981 with an Oxfam group and spent most of his time north, in Esteli, Matagalpa, Puerto Cabezas on the east coast, Tasba Pri (a relocation center / concentration camp for the Miskito Indians from Sukat Pin, a Miskito village that was burned to the ground by the Contras). Also Masaya. I was in Nicaragua Jan-Mar 1978, arriving around the time that Pedro Joachin Chamorro, editor of La Prensa, was assasinated. Being with a group of Goshen College students, we visited the various major cities Leon, Masaya, Esteli, Jinotega, Diriamba, Ciudad Dario, including Bluefields. The first 6 weeks we all lived with families in Managua while taking lessons in Spanish language and Nica culture. The 2nd 6 weeks were our field assignments where we went off to various locations. I and 2 other girls lived in Loma Linda, a barrio of Managua. Have you seen the "footprints of Acahualinca"? Those are very interesting. We also went to various Pacific beaches -- Pochomil, La Boquita, Masachapa. I need a refresher course on Nicaraguan history before we even think about coming down to visit. I'm enjoying your postings very much. Take care. Love, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat, I am loving reading your blog, and more than a bit jealous. It sounds like you are adjusting quite nicely and happy about your assignment. Look forward to continuing to share your experience remotely! Things in Colorado are beautiful, absolutely gorgeous, weather wise; same old but worse work wise!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lady! I am so so excited for you! I tried to email you, PLEASE email me when you can, I have your old truancy cases
    danidiercks@gmail.com

    Keep up the great work!

    Cheers,
    Dani Diercks

    ReplyDelete