Friday, December 1, 2023

Christmas comes to UTEQ

 

THis is a very clever tree made out of plastic bottles with strings of lights inside.  I haven't seen it lit up but I bet its pretty.  There is an occasional green bottle which I bet looks real nice.
This is the tree from a distance, with the school letters in front.
Across from the tree you'll find this nativity scene with pine cones hanging from the ceiling and colored balls decorating the bushes nearby. 
Then you go a bit further and encounter this altar/ shrine to the Virgin Guadalupe. Candles, cactus, flowers and other things I can't make out.
This is not Christmas related, just another beautiful specimen on campus.  My host in Costa Rica, long long time ago, before Peace Corps, talked about her "tuna" often.  I don't recall what she said probably because I could not understand it but it never occurred to me that she was talking about a giant cactus.  Well, she was.  This cactus is call "tuna" and the fruit is pictured below in a closeup.  The tuna fruit is delicious.  Of course you peel it but its not unlike a kiwi...very sweet, soft, just real good.
The call the fish, "atuna."
 
This is one of our cohort, Aeden.  A real nice guy and a good sport about everything.  His host mother took him to a concert and when he got there he learned he was a judge of a Christmas show.  He's a TEFL volunteer and is a great guy.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment