Wednesday, April 20, 2016

When we were in the hotel in Manta, Manabi, awaiting our transportation to Guayaquil, I talked to a lot of people.   I talked to some medics who were there from Cuenca, another town about 8 hours away by land but they must have flown in.  The highways are ripped up and there are no buses as far as I know, at this time.

Anyway, they told me that there is a parking lot down the beach a way, where the bodies are lying awaiting families to claim them.  She said there were a lot of "extranjeros" without documentation...could not be identified.  They said the smell and insects were horrible there. 

Manta is a very successful beach town so there were lots of people in the hotels.

There are lots of rescue teams from other South American countries.  I see and hear about them on the news. 

We are all at breakfast, preparing to leave here to Quito and learned there was another 6.0 temblor/earthquake in a town not far from Pedernales which was the epicenter of the last one.  So sad....more chaos and sadness.  The TV is full of pictures as they get farther and farther into the suburbs and find little towns leveled.    The death toll is not 525 according to the TV. 

Damnificado....spanish for victim...interesting....

As I sit and watch TV, I see some rescues...they make it better....poor rescuers...what sad sad work that must be.

No comments:

Post a Comment